Sunday, May 24, 2009

Fever Ray


(Publicity shot, credit unknown)

Anyone who has heard Swedish electronic duo The Knife has heard Karin Dreijer Andersson's eccentric voice billow like clouds or pierce like lightning.

With the other half of The Knife, brother Olof Dreijer, The Knife are known for shying away from media attention, posing for publicity shots mainly in masks and refusal to perform live for over 5 years.
At 34 years old, Karin is a mother of two and surely one of music's awesomest offbeat Mamas!



(i love the colour of that hoodie)










Taking a break from the duo, Fever Ray is Karin's debut solo album, more sombre & soul-mashing than The Knife's sound.



album cover artwork by Martin Ander - www.mander.nu

Fever Ray retains elements of electronica and dance but (with some thanks to voice transformer manipulation) seems more daring & eclectic with deep booming vocals, shrieking sounds like birds in forest treetops, and somewhat simple yet beautiful lyrics that inspire a feeling of wonder in life & love:

"Never leave me
Walk close beside me
Your hand my hand
Fits so easy"


The second single, 'When I Grow Up' was released in 2009, and is one of my personal favourites (though it's so hard to pick!) for both its imagery & sound.
It evokes feelings of living in a tent, smelling the fresh mountain air each morning and singing to the sound of waves rushing onto the shore.

"When I grow up
I want to live near the sea
Crab claws and bottles of rum
That's what I'll have
Staring at a seashell
Waiting for it to embrace me."


Hypnotic & charming whilst amazingly creative and spooky, I find myself being randomly revisited by the songs in my head even when I haven't listened to the album in a while.

When I Grow Up from Fever Ray on Vimeo.



www.feverray.com
Fever Ray was recorded on www.rabidrecords.com

Remember as a kid when you used to hold a seashell to your ear and magically hear the sea?



x

2 comments:

Melissa Dominic said...

i find fever ray to be fantastic, good call!

i love people who refuse to show their faces for some reason or another. i wish i could get away with just showing me and my goggles all the time.

Dreampuff said...

Hi there! Found your blog from Gala Darling.
Thanks for the new music! It's always exciting to expand. Personally, I am a music snob, so now I can go to people and be like "Oh, I found Fever Ray from a blog." haha.

Have a good one!
B